Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:06:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  webhealing.com
|-+  Crisis, Grief, and Healing
| |-+  Recommended Grief Books
| | |-+  The Empty Room (Death of a Sibling)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Empty Room (Death of a Sibling)  (Read 3138 times)
clc100

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »

This book by Elizabeth Devita-Raeburn, focuses on the grief specific to those who have lost a sibling at any stage in life. The author lost her 17 year old brother (who was the basis of the movie The Boy in the Bubble) when she was 14.

This book is not only her personal journey through grief but a compilation of interviews with many people who have lost siblings throughout the life span. She also addresses the social norms associated with grief and sibling loss and why siblings need to realize they have a right to grieve deeply.

My favorite quote from the book is in reference to a 77 year old man who lost his older sister 5 years earlier. As he tries to explain the void, Devita-Reyburn writes "What he was saying was , how do you describe the way someone fit into your life, if they have always been a part of it?" Having recently lost my brother, this one line summed up every emotion I have felt since the day he died.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length