Author Topic: feel like i am going in circles! this is so frustrating  (Read 7235 times)

swgirl094

• nospam
    • View Profile
feel like i am going in circles! this is so frustrating
« on: June 09, 2011, 07:56:16 AM »
Hi everybody, I hope you are all doing as well as you can be.

I am just so frustrated.  It has been 5 months since my mom passed away and I feel like I am just going in circles.  I have been seeing a counselor and just when I start to make some progress, I get into a funk again and feel like I am back to square one.  My issue is anxiety that somebody else I love will die too, especially from cancer, as I don't think I can deal with that again.  I have been working very hard to deal with that anxiety with my counselor, but just when it is under control I start to get the panic attacks again ... she says this is normal, but it is just sooo frustrating. 

The few days where I feel normal are days where I am not near my parents house or my family and I can pretend that things are alright.  Then I go and visit my dad and am in their house and all the memories come pouring back.  I love my dad and know he needs me, but it is so hard to be in that house that my sisters and I grew up in.  Her stuff is still there and it just feels like something is never right when I am there and my mom is not.  I feel guilty for not wanting to visit because it sends me into my depression/anxiety again.  I love my dad and I want to be there for him more than anything, but it can be so hard to be with my sisters and him and not have my mom there because then it is there, in my face, that she is not here and I can't pretend anymore that things are normal. 

I know that denial is a defense mechanism, and I am not always in denial.  Sometimes my mind and body just needs it to take a vacation from this grief. 

So the next two weeks will be tough and I will need to be with my family to help each other get through.  This weekend there is a benefit concert in honor of my mom (she was a choir director for years and years, my sisters and I were also in the choir with her) and we are going.  They are doing all of the songs my mom conducted over the years.  Then next weekend is my parents' wedding anniversary.  I am wondering from anybody out there - Do you think my dad would rather be alone that day?  I think I am just going to call him and ask him if he wants company and if not, I understand and am only a phone call away if he needs me.  Does that sound like the best way to handle it?  It will be an awful day for him.

Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble ... sometimes it just feels good to talk to somebody that is not close to me because I always feel guilty talking to my family, I don't want t make them sadder.

browneyedgirl

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: feel like i am going in circles! this is so frustrating
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 04:12:20 PM »
I think that asking your Dad if he wants to be alone is a good idea.  I am sure he will respond honestly. 

I hope you have a beautiful time at the concert, what a nice way to pay tribute to your mom. 

Sending love and light.
Tony Repola 07/20/66 – 03/29/09
I know you are fishing in the oceans and streams of heaven

loststill

• nospam
  • painting our sunsets from heaven now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 04:10:13 AM »
If I were at that concert I'd be crying then realizing what a wonderful gift her love of music was.  I'd wipe the tears away and appreciate the gift she gave me, hold my head up high, and be very proud. 

Terry

• Administrator
    • “Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” –Vicki Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »
Hi swgirl,

I remember when I lost my Mom and that was in 1977 and how the first few years were just awful. 5 months is still too soon to have any expectations of knowing how to manage your pain and deal with your grief. Take things one day at a time. You've had a devastating loss in your life and loss will affect us both physically and emotionally. Take good care of yourself right now. It's so important.

The healthiest thing, in my opinion is what you have been doing; writing all of your feelings down. This makes them concrete/real and helps you to better deal with them. And, try not to be too hard on yourself for feeling a certain way regarding your spending time at your Mom and Dad's house. I 'know' how hard this is. Do what you have to do to stay afloat!!!

Yes, I would call Dad and ask what he would like on their special day. That's very thoughtful of you. Please let me know how everything turns out.

I'll be thinking of you this weekend while you're joining with so many others to honor your precious Mom.

(((((((((((((((((((((swgirl)))))))))))))))))))

My Love,
Terry