Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:31:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  webhealing.com
|-+  Crisis, Grief, and Healing
| |-+  Recommended Grief Books
| | |-+  Gaining Strength
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gaining Strength  (Read 4293 times)
sevenofwands
nospam

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »

I think this book has some bearing on the topic of recovering from grief and adverse events, such as bereavement.

Resilience for Today: Gaining Strength from Adversity (Contemporary Psychology) (Hardcover)
by Edith Henderson Grotberg (Editor)

Dr. Edith Grotberg's work makes an important contribution to our understanding of mental 'health,' going beyond the usual disease focus by exploring the concept of resilience, or those factors that not only sustain people through life's challenges, but actually help us grow and become stronger as a result.”–Joy K. Rice Professor of Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin, Madison

Product Description
The increased bombardment of information on the world's dangers, from imminent disasters to terror and wars reported in the media, make us particularly vulnerable to stress and feelings of helplessness. This volume is unique in describing how to promote resilience in different groups, under different circumstances, and dealing with different adversities.

sevenofwands
nospam

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:30:30 PM »

Just to mention that this author died:

Edith Henderson Grotberg

(February 5, 1918 - May 20, 2008)

Edith Henderson Grotberg, a world renowned educational psychologist dedicated to promoting early childhood development and the human capacity for resilience, died on May 20, 2008, of pneumonia at Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, DC.

http://www.edithgrotberg.com/obituary.php
sevenofwands
nospam

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »

Facing Adversity: Words That Heal (Paperback)
by Herbert L. Gravitz

""This is a beautifully crafted compendium of some of the most inspiring and empowering works from ancient mystics to modern scientists. The wisdom of these sages fosters the attitudes, feelings, thoughts, and behaviours one needs to embrace the challenges of life's major wounding events. Providing practical counsel for all situations of adversity, this book will surprise you, delight you, and help you to heal. ""

sevenofwands
nospam

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:16:43 AM »

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/index.php?term=pto-3047.html&fromMod=emailed

""One reason we have so much trouble achieving peace of mind is that we are not present to our life as it shows up on our doorstep right now. We spend a great deal of time fretting about the future or the past. Not only can we not change the past, thinking excessively about it is a shortcut to unhappiness. And overly worrying about the future deprives us of the experience we need to carry us there.

The great trick in life is to have goals ahead—but not to be so obsessive about them that you defer living and doing now. How many times have you said, "I will be really happy when... ....."

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment (Hardcover)
by Eckhart Tolle (Author),

and

You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective (Paperback)
by Richard Carlson (Author),
A reader said: ""The beauty of this book is it's simplicity. It combines principles and applications that are not difficult to understand and, with practice, almost effortless to implement. This book benefited me because I believed, that I had little or no control over my thoughts, feelings, moods, circumstances or happiness.

As I reflect after reading the book, I find that I have been feeling better longer. I still have low moods, but I don't sink as low, stay as long or hurt as bad as I used to

sevenofwands
nospam

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:58:40 PM »

An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love: The True Story of the Best Gift Ever Given (Hardcover)
by Richard Carlson (Author), Kristine Carlson (Author)

A review:

"Richard Carlson, author of the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" series of books died prematurely of a pulmonary embolism at age 45. I have loved his books since reading them years ago - they have always had the ability to inspire and motivate me when life got me down. In this book, 'An Hour to Live, an Hour to Love", we get to read Richard's love letter to his wife on their 18th anniversary, which basically entreats one to live life to the fullest and be in the moment, treasuring our time with the people that truly matter to us, and Kristine's response to it.It is an uplifting, inspiring read not just for those who are grieving over the loss of a loved one, but for those of us who feel the need to get off the conveyor belt of a hectic existence and live life to its fullest, amongst the people who love us. "
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length