Author Topic: Your child's cell phone  (Read 14297 times)

Wadesmom

• View Profile
Your child's cell phone
« on: September 07, 2007, 03:42:57 PM »
I was just wondering if any of you would care to share what you did with your childs cell phones.  I know this will not apply to all parents & Aunts on this board, yet I  would appreciate hearing  from any of you on this  topic.

Wade always had his cell phone with him, in his school bookbag, in his jeans pocket or in his sports bag,  and I can not make myself  disconnect it yet . My son was killed in a MVA in August of 2006, on that day, his cell phone was found in his sports bag which was in the trunk of the car.    I can not disconnect his cell phone  because when I call  and get his answering machine , he laughs during the message.

We live 24 miles (one way) from the school he attended, each one of my kids had a cell phone once they entered Middle school, due to the distance between school and home.  It was used for a variety of reasons, athletic bus route delays, school schedules changes, after school meetings, stopping by a friends house on the way home, etc.    It also kept me in touch with them regardless of whether it was school or summer time.

I have an acquaintance's whose husband passed away 2 years ago and she still has her husbands  cell phone connected just so she can call his phone  and hear his voice whenever she desires.

I have  kept Wade's cell phone connected for the same reason. Please give me some feedback on when you disconnected your childs cell phone, or if you  immediately disconnected it. 

Wadesmom

Rebecca

• nospam
    • View Profile
Re: Your child's cell phone
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 04:15:25 PM »
Jason's cell phone was like his third arm.  After we took all the telephone numbers off to contact his friends, we had it placed in the casket with him.
It was comforting to us because he was never without the phone and always on it.
Rebecca Jason's Mom

luckyladyb

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »
We transferred Jason's phone calls to another phone. He was constantly on it with his business and we wanted to make sure that his business didn't suffer.
His Dad uses his actual phone now. It's precious to him.
Jason's girlfriend had his phone service cut off and we lost his message. We were able to have the service restored but lost his message.
His home phone had a message that he screwed up trying to record.  He laughed really hard and that was the message you heard when you called his house. I recorded it so we will always have it to listen too.
You might want to consider making a recording of Wade's message. If the phone is ever disconnected, even if by mistake, you'll lose it.
Aren't these tough decisions to make?  It's another ending and we've had too many of those to deal with.
Keep that phone connected as long as you need too.............
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 06:56:31 PM by Bonnie, Jason's Mom »

laurasmom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 06:27:44 PM »
I gave Laura a cell phone for graduation, and she was killed 8 days later.  Her phone was destroyed when she was hit, but we kept the number active and her dad took it over.  Because we never canceled it, we still have her message on it.  Her dad will not delete it, although he has had many comments made to him, mostly by his family, about Laura's voice still being there.  But our other children and her friends like to call even now and still hear her voice.
Lois
Lois, Laura's Mom

MARTHA(CANDI'S AUNT)

• nospam
  • AUNT MARTHA LOVES YOU CANDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 06:44:11 PM »
CANDI'S BEEN GONE FOR 2 YRS. NOW. I USE TO CALL IT ALL THE TIME JUST TO HEAR HER VOICE. FINALLY ONE DAY a girl answered & i told her i was sorry that i called but this use to be my niece's cell number. she said " no. it's mine." i explained thing's to her & she was very nice.

but it broke my heart again because that part of candi was gone also.

martha

Donnys Dad

• nospam
  • Donny At Football Hall of Fame, Another Great Trip
    • View Profile
    • Donny's Memorial Website
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 07:06:58 AM »
I took Donny's cell phone and put it in a container I keep in my office.  I did have it disconnected.  However, my girls recorded his message both from the cell phone and his home phone.  When I am up to it I listen to the messages just to hear his voice.

Don
I Miss You So Much Buddy, My Best Friend, My Tiger

Don, Donny's Proud Dad

Dottie (Tammie's Mom)

• Tammie (My Precious Daughter) 8-9-65/9-14-05
    • View Profile
    • Project Tammie
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 02:46:55 PM »
I had Tammie's disconnected after a few months and I gave the phone to my nephew. Although he only used it a few weeks he said it kept ringing with Tammie's ring. It is now just put away.

Dottie Tammie's Mom

Gill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 03:29:52 PM »
My daughter's fiance had her cell phone, he had given it to her as a gift.  I have never thought to ask him what happened to it.    I haven't heard her voice in four years, however, my son has two videos he made, one of Thanksgiving with just music in the background, the other was made as a short film with his brother, his wife and Joanne acting in it. I've asked for a copy, although I'm not sure I'm ready to watch it yet ... one day I will and hear her voice again.
-Gill

Karen Paul

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Chris Bascom Memorial
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 07:15:20 AM »
My nephew Chris' mom has his phone I think.. not sure if she has had it disconnected or not.. haven't heard anything about that.. my brother had Chris' voice on his answering machine along with his own voice and his wife (Chris' step-mom)'s voice.. I used to call just to hear Chris' voice.. when Brian split from Chris' stepmom 2yrs ago he got rid of his land line so it is not connected anymore.. I'm hoping Brian still has the recording... but not sure.. I do so miss hearing Chris' voice..

I wrote a poem/song about it a couple of years ago.. so hard to believe it will be 4yrs in Nov..

Please leave a message
lyrics by Karen Paul

My watch has stopped and time has run out for us
And all I have left is your face in my locket
And all I have left are memories of you to cherish

Chorus
Called your dad’s the other day just to hear your voice say
Called your dad’s the other day had to hear your voice say
“ Please leave a message after the beep”

Needed to hear your voice you see
Needed it just like the air I breathe
Cause all I have is your face in my locket
And all I have is memories of you

Chorus
Called your dad’s the other day had to hear your voice say

I could tell you were smiling
I could tell you were happy
My watch has stopped.
I don’t know what to do

Need to hear your voice you see
Need it just like the air I breathe

Is that supposed to be enough somehow?

xo Karen
proud aunt of Christopher

JenKellisMom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 07:44:37 AM »
Kelli was only 9 but she had a cell phone so she could be like her sister.  She only used it to call family and her best friend (I can still picture her sitting on the couch sucking her thumb and flipping the phone open when it rang!). 

I still have the phone in my purse (I use it when my battery dies and I don't have my charger), it still has her greeting on it and I still have the last message she left me...and I continue to listen to the message and the greeting almost every day. 

I also had the phone company download her message and greeting onto a cd-rom so I could make sure I didn't lose them.

Wadesmom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 11:25:58 AM »
Thank you for your responses.  I am grateful for the feedback from each one of you. 

Wadesmom

DantesDad

• Love you Dante - see you soon
    • View Profile
    • Dante's tribute page
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 12:48:51 PM »
Soon after Dante died, I received a call from his cell phone.  It both scared and excited me.  I thought, for a flashing moment, "oh my God - he's alive!".  When I picked up it was one of my other sons.  I still have Dante's picture and phone number programmed into my phone, even though the number is now gone.

I miss you Dante...

Marty - Dante's Dad

Maureen, Traci's Mom

• me and Traci at her Graduation party
    • View Profile
    • Traci's memory of page
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
Hi Wadesmom,

When my daughter Traci was in her accident, she had her phone with her.  But, when they handed us back her belongings the phone wasn't there.  All I could think of was that someone took the phone from the accident scene, and used it.  We turned off the phone for that purpose only.  I never did get her phone back, and when I checked the bill the next month, there was one call placed the following day of her accident to another state.  It made me so upset that someone would steal a phone from the accident scene.  I am sure the battery died, or there would have been more calls.

Maureen, Traci's Mom

Traci's Graduation picture 2004

Brenda(Jessica's Mom)

• nospam
    • View Profile
    • Jessica Kaiser
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 09:40:22 PM »
Jessica's cell phone was a track phone, so it disconnected itself after a time, but i still have it, with other things that belonged to her.

quint906

• Cory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 02:53:52 PM »
Hi Jo,

It took me 15 months to finally have Cory's # cancelled.  I used to call his phone just to hear his voice.  This was one of the first steps that I had to take and of course, I cried.  I did record his voice message on my phone (plus it's on my old phone, which comes through much clearer).  Cory lived with that phone to his ear.  That's how I knew something was wrong when I couldn't contact him and his voice mailbox was full.  He always called me back within 1/2 hour if not sooner.  We talked at least once a day if not more.  I used to pull his phone out because I could still smell his cologne and his scents.  I have his phone in my "special box" which one day, I'll give to Ashlynn & Collin because besides his smile and personality, he is remembered for his cologne and that phone to his ear.

Thinking of you during this decision time.

Take care.

Jo